There’s no arguing that denim jackets are perfect transitional outerwear: throw one on in the seasons when the weather’s neither here nor there and you’ll almost certainly be set for the day. Get too hot? Tie it around your waist. Too cold? Add a scarf or a hoodie underneath. But when the temperature deviates from that sweet spot—like, say, right now, when even Los Angeles is breaking out their beanies—can you still keep wearing that beloved jean jacket of yours? Or should it be confined to the neglected reaches of your closet for another few months?
A denim jacket has become much a part of our closets as a checked blazer or a black roll-neck. But it can get a little, well, boring. It’s not that we don’t love this wardrobe staple; it’s that we can run out of ways to make it feel fresh and interesting. During the colder months, we can also be tempted to throw it out when doing a wardrobe detox, regretting it later when it’s the summer and you’ll want to live in it. Instead, how about getting some inspiration from the varied street style denim jacket ensembles that are ready to be worn in 2018? Keep scrolling for how to wear a denim jacket and the pieces you’ll want to shop now.
We say feel free to keep your baby close all year round. Kinda like Tobias from “Arrested Development”—only, you know, a lot chicer. And not actually Never Nude—just never without your favorite denim jacket.
What Denim Jackets Are In This 2018:
- Blue Jean Jacket. The most basic of them all, the blue jean jacket is every woman’s best friend. It’s versatility is unmatched—available in countless washes, at every price point, and in all sizes, so there’s no reason every woman shouldn’t own one.
- White Denim Jacket. If blue denim is not your thing, or if you already one of those and want to grow your jean jacket collection, try a white version. It’s clean and crisp and will elevate any outfit.
- Black Denim Jacket. The other end of the denim jacket spectrum is, of course, the black jean jacket. Sure, it lends a downtown-cool vibe to any outfit—but it can also serve as a versatile wear-anywhere layer.
- Oversized Denim Jacket. Even though jean jackets transcend seasonal trends, there are more fashion-forward versions out there—if you’re in the mood to experiment, try an oversized style.
- Distressed Denim Jacket. If a plain denim jacket doesn’t feel very “you,” maybe a distressed version, like the ones below, would be more your speed.
- Cropped Denim Jacket. If you have a petite frame, or maybe oversized silhouettes simple aren’t your think, try a cropped denim jacket.
- Sleeveless Jean Jacket. A sleeveless jean jacket, or a denim vest, can be a really fun layering piece to add to your wardrobe. It’s also the perfect DIY solution for a jacket whose sleeves have gotten too short.
I always say, casual outfit is something that you can make look fresh and dressy, no matter how old you are. Don’t believe me? Check out my article on casual wardrobe for women over 50. As you can see from the image below, this puff sleeve ripped denim jacket will be a good match to wear with a printed t-shirt in white tucked in black high-waisted skinny jeans, the outfit is perfect for women who is 30, 40 or even over 50 year’s old:
Best Ways To Wear Jean Jackets In 2018:
1. Shrugged off one shoulder. Want to give off that can’t-be-bothered vibe? Wear your denim jacket in a nonchalant manner off one shoulder. Better if you’re also wearing a dress or top that allows for a bit of flesh-baring. Sassy.
2. Exaggerated Shoulders. Make a real statement with ’80s-style shoulder. Not only does it put a more tailored twist on the denim jacket, it makes any outfit you wear it with look super smart.
3. Contrasting double denim. You don’t have to do a lighter jacket with darker jeans; you can always try the opposite. Either way, double denim is still going to look chic.
4. Matching whites. The thing about wearing white denim is that you will always worry it’s going to get stained. Pro tip: Just don’t eat ketchup and you’re all good. In terms of making it a chic outfit, pair it with matching jeans and a blue striped shirt.
5. Embellished collar. When the weather is colder, you probably just want to throw on your trusty winter coat. However, denim can be just as toasty with a faux-fur collar.
6. Long line with your favorite dress. You forget that denim jackets don’t just have to be waist-length. In fact, long, belted versions can look incredible. Wear with your favorite dress and mules.
7. Ladylike rock ‘n’ roll. Don’t forget how cool a black denim jacket can look. It’s more of the rock ‘n’ roll choice but paired with pink trousers, shoes and a bag, it suddenly looks ladylike.
Don’t be afraid to experiment, There will always be awesome ideas making denim jacket your favorite outerwear piece. I personally love to wear a jean jacket with LWD and jumpsuits. It makes me look fresh and youthful. In other words saying, I am free to wear this denim garment with literally anything. It can make you feel laidback and casual, as well as dressed up. Ahead, see awesome outfit ideas suitable for every season—layered looks for winter, lighter fare for summer (more summer denim jacket looks you can find here), and some gloriously easy ensembles for everything in between, like spring and autumn. Every look is ideal for women who want to feel confident and special. Scroll down to see all my favorite jean jacket outfit ideas and let me know your thoughts in the comments below.
Inspiring Street Style Pictures:
By the way, I am a big fan of seventies, they will always be a perfect inspiration for me. I do recommend to check out my post about 1970’s inspired clothes to wear this year. For instance, this double denim look is so seventies inspired. Love the way slim fit denim jacket is teamed with high-waisted jeans. Complete this combo with a simple white top:
Sources: STYLECASTER.COM, WHOWHATWEAR.CO.UK, REALSIMPLE.COM
Hey, These are all looking sweet on this outfit. I love the way it looks with the jean jacket! I always like to jeans jacket in my all outfits. So, This one is inspired for me. Thanks for the sharing this.